Tween Books Must Captivate, Engage and Enchant.
If not? We’ll lose them to all those other things fighting for their attention. You know: screens, video games and – eek! – social media. Luckily, you’re in the right place. You can find the best tween books for your 9-12 year olds right here!
The quality, depth and diversity of tween books is better than ever.
These days, there is truly something for everyone.
There are books that serve as mirrors through which children see themselves in the stories they read. Then there are “window” books, stories teaching tweens valuable lessons about children with different backgrounds, religions, socioeconomic statuses, and family structures.
There is no shortage of stellar books for tweens, and our children are incredibly lucky to be living in this golden age of children’s literature.
And this is a good thing, because If you want your kids to read, you need to give them captivating books! Graphic novels are all the rage these days and are absolutely fabulous for growing readers. Series books are huge because if your kids love the first book, they will want to read more, more, and more! Novels in verse make for quicker but oh-so-powerful reads. And fantasy continues to delight readers of all ages.
SO HOW DO YOU GET YOUR TWEENS TO FALL IN LOVE WITH READING?
Check out these tips and then grab some amazing tween books!
- Model reading at home. If your kids see you reading, discussing books with your friends, and falling in love with great stories, they will be more likely to do the same.
- Let them listen! You may be able to spark their interest by turning on a captivating audiobook when you are in the car — and if they have smart phones or tablets, you can download audiobooks right onto their gadgets.
- Get tween books that correspond to their hobbies. This is always a surefire way to get kids interested in a novel!
- Is a movie adaptation of a great book coming out soon? Grab that book for your tween. Read it together and then check out the film. Your child will enjoy seeing how true the movie is to the book, discussing what stayed the same, what was different, and which version they liked better.
- Read books before your tweens do so you can talk about the stories with your kids. Even better? Read them together, chapter by chapter!
- Make it a party! Encourage your child and some friends to join our tween bookclub. Check out The Dawn Society right here!
- Give your kids choice when it comes to book selection. Take them to the library or book store and give them the chance to explore. Grab them a stack of books and let them choose what interests them. And if they want to read the same book again and again – let them!
Check out these quick links to some of our favorite tween books!
Looking to help your child develop
their social and emotional skills?
Download our 8 Week Guide!
Suggested Grade Level: Pre-K – 3rd